Wesley's Chapel
HomeAbout UsNews and EventsVisiting UsChurch LifeMuseumRoom HireSupport UsContact
Virtual Wesley's House

On November 1st (All Soul's Day), John Wesley commissioned two houses to be built on either side of the courtyard. This one, for his own use and the other for visiting preachers. They were both designed by George Dance and built by a local builder and one-time preacher, Samuel Tooth. (The other house was demolished in the late 19th century).

Wesley moved into this house on October 9th 1779. He was to use it as his London base during the winter months. He spent the rest of the year, travelling the length and breadth of the country on horseback, spreading the word of God.

As Wesley's wife had left him some years earlier, he lived as a bachelor and occupied the first floor. The remainder of the house was used by visitors, preachers and servants. Wesley often referred to those staying in the house as his 'family'

After Wesley's death in 1791, the work at Wesley's Chapel continued and the house became the residence of the Superintendent Minister of the Chapel. In 1898, after extensive restoration, John Wesley's House was opened to the public as a museum.

Enter the parlour

< Return to the Museum

Exterior | Kitchen | Museum Room | Back Parlour | Dining Room | Study | Wesley's Bedroom | Prayer Room | Preacher's Bedroom | Travellers Quarters | Third Floor

Site © Wesley's Chapel & Leysian Mission 2008
49 City Road, London EC1Y 1AU
Registered Charity No: 1137321